The Asset Retirement Global Document allows FIS users to retire a group of asset numbers at one time.
Departments will most commonly use this document for reporting lost or stolen equipment or for removing non-capital items from inventory; ideal if reporting multiple retirements on one document.
Disposal requests of any equipment that a department no longer needs should be directed to UC Davis AggieSurplus; AggieSurplus will advise department of further instructions. Departments do not initiate the Asset Retirement Global document for AggieSurplus transactions; when AggieSurplus updates custodial code to the AggieSurplus code, Asset Representative will receive an FYI in their KFS Action List.
Please note that the UCOP Disposal Codes indicated below are for general use by departments. The other codes on the UCOP Disposal Code table are for restricted use by Capital Asset Accounting, Equipment Management, and AggieSurplus. Keep the following in mind when citing any of the transaction types below (except for lost or stolen asset reporting):
- There may be restrictions on disposals of equipment acquired with extramural/government funds. Check the original agreement paperwork for the contract or grant; disposal instructions are often stipulated there. Documentation from the funding agency allowing the disposal should be electronically attached to your KFS document as appropriate.
- Review the Disposition of Equipment & Supplies resource for additional considerations on equipment disposal.
- Refer to UCD Policy & Procedure Manual 350-80 (PDF) for additional details.
- See the PDF of the instructions.
Disposal of Non-Inventorial Item (UCOP Disposal Code 10)
Although non-equipment is not required to be tracked in CAMS, your department is still responsible for its appropriate security and maintenance. Review the information on the AggieSurplus Service Request and complete the form in order to properly dispose of non-inventorial items no longer needed by your department.
- Termination of Loan Agreement (UCOP Disposal Codes 16, 17, and 20) - For equipment being returned to a lending agency, complete an Asset Retirement Global (ARG) document in KFS, using UCOP Disposal Code code 16, 17, or 20, depending on where the equipment is being returned.
- Add a note indicating when the loan was terminated/equipment returned along with the Equipment Loan Agreement number. Chart H Hospital fiscal officers: Ad hoc route the document as Approval Required to Joelene Rodriguez (user ID: JOELENE) in UCDHS Clinical Engineering.
- The agency should give you a receipt for return of the equipment; a copy should be electronically attached to your KFS document.
- The ARG document will route to Equipment Management for final approval.
- Lost Equipment (UCOP Disposal Code 22) - Complete an Asset Retirement Global (ARG) document in KFS, using UCOP Disposal Code 22. The document will route to Equipment Management for final approval.
- Salvaged Equipment -- Non-Hospital Departments (UCOP Disposal Code 23) - Review the information on the AggieSurplus Service Request and complete the form.
- AggieSurplus will make arrangements with your department to have the asset picked up. AggieSurplus will initiate an Asset Transfer Global document to transfer the asset to the appropriate AggieSurplus custodial code.
- If AggieSurplus does not have a market for the asset, and the department wishes to dispose of the item, AggieSurplus will create an Asset Retirement Global (ARG) document in KFS, using UCOP Disposal Code 23 or 28 depending on what type of equipment is being salvaged. Arrange with AggieSurplus for pickup through Salvage Operations.
- If your department chooses to part out ("cannibalize") the equipment for use in other equipment, AggieSurplus will create an Asset Retirement Global document. The department should arrange with AggieSurplus for pick-up of remaining parts.
- Traded-In Equipment (UCOP Disposal Code 24) - Equipment trade-ins should be processed on a Requisition. Equipment should not be physically traded in until the Purchase Order has been created by Purchasing.
- Stolen Equipment (UCOP Disposal Code 25) - Complete an Asset Retirement Global (ARG) document in KFS, using UCOP Disposal Code 25. Be sure to indicate the UCDPD Case # on the document (Note: If you do not have a UCDPD Case #, please include the case # for the police department where the theft was reported).
- Transfers to Another UC Campus (UCOP Disposal Code 26) - Please contact Equipment Management for assistance in transferring equipment to another UC Campus.
- Transfers to Institutions Outside of the UC System (UCOP Disposal Code 29) - Please contact Equipment Management for assistance in transferring equipment to a university outside of the UC system.
- Asset Representative/Delegate (if not created by them)
- Fiscal Officer assigned to account assigned to equipment
- Capital Asset Accounting (Equipment Management)