The resources required to conduct extramural research include those elements which are directly attributable on a project-by-project basis.
Such as consumable supplies, salaries of active participants, equipment purchased for the project and those that indirectly support projects on an institutional basis (e.g. research administration and accounting, purchasing, library, space, maintenance). Funds received as part of a project to support the infrastructure of the institution are most commonly referred to as Indirect Cost Recovery (ICR) funds.
The Federal Office of Management and Budget, in document OMB-A-21, defines allowable direct and indirect costs for federal grants and contracts. Direct costs are those that can be specifically identified with the project, whereas Indirect cost items are associated with general infrastructure support. Indirect costs are real costs to the University associated with carrying out extramurally funded research. These indirect costs are now referred to as Facilities and Administrative rates or F&A rates in OMB-A-21.
- For additional information on F&A rates and related policy information, please visit the Costing Policy & Analysis page.
- Resources are available through the Office of Research to understand how F&A Rates impact research proposals, grants and contracts.
Allocations of ICR funds were changed in 2011-12 as a result of the UC Funding Streams initiative and the implementation of UC Davis’ Incentive-Based Budget Model and are now allocated via through the ICR Campus Return Program where a portion of ICR generated is allocated back to the school/college that performed the research and a portion is held centrally by the Provost to support campus-wide initiatives.
Indirect Cost Recovery Reports (1)
- 2016-17 ICR Allocation Report (PDF) — Sep 2016
Report showing current year ICR Allocations for the Campus Return Program.
- ICR Quarterly Trend Report FY2016/17 Q1 (PDF) — Nov 2016
Shows ICR received as of the most recent quarter, including breakdowns by sponsor type and unit.
- ICR Campus Return Program Overview (PDF)
Disgram showing flow of ICR funds through the Campus Return Program
- ICR Categorical Set-asides (PDF)
Provides definition of key ICR categories that are excluded from the standard Campus Return allocations.
- B&C Rate Allocations (PDF)
Diagram and detailed description of the B&C ICR flows.
Additional references and prior year files
- Budget Model Allocation Sample (XLXS): Brief excel model showing allocation of ICR for a Unit through the Campus Return Program
- Indirect Cost Recovery Allocation, Version 2 (PDF): White paper on ICR as it relates to the Incentive-Based Budget Model implementation in 2011-12 — Jun 2012
- ICR Executive Summary, Revised (PDF): Synopsis of ICR as part of the Incentive-Based Budget Model.
- 11-12 Indirect Cost Allocation Provost Letter (PDF) — Feb 2012
- 11-12 Indirect Cost Funds Allocation Letter (PDF) — Mar 2012