Use this step-by-step guide to set-up access for a new KFS user.
Click on each step to get detailed instructions for that step. Each step must be completed before beginning the next step.
- Normal-level access: The KFS User document establishes all users with normal-level access.
- Additional Access: If a user needs additional roles/permissions, please refer to the information here. An employee needs to be set up with a KFS User account before additional roles can be granted.
- Decision Support-only access: If setting up a user for Decision Support only access, refer to the DS Only Access Management page.
||Obtain a UCD Login ID
- Choose Your Login ID
- Learn Campus Computing Account Basics
- Set Up Your UCD Login ID
- Redirect Your Mail ID if You Use an Alternate E-mail Address
|The new user
||Process a KFS User Document
- Get Prepared
- Start the KFS User Document
- Enter the New User's Name and User ID on the Document
- Finish the Document
- Track Your Document
|The Supervisor or
Account Manager/Fiscal Officer
(must be a KFS user)
1. Obtain a UC Davis Login ID
||What to do
||How to do it
||Choose Your Login ID
||A variety of services at UC Davis use the UCD Login ID as your identifier, including KFS. The UCD Login ID is an identifier you select for yourself that will be visible to all. It could be a favorite word, a set of initials, or your name.
Your UCD Login ID must meet the following requirements:
- It must be between two and eight characters long.
- Use any letters and/or numbers in the English alphabet and numerical system.
- Adhere to the UC Davis "Principles of Community." Out of respect for others, your UCD Login ID should not include offensive language.
||Learn Campus Computing Account Basics
||In order to obtain a UCD Login ID, you will need to establish a UC Davis Campus Computing Account. Your computing account will come with:
- UCD Login ID: The name you choose to call your computing account.
- UCD Mail ID: Usually the first and middle initial of your name, followed by your last name (e.g., jwsmith). Your UCD Mail ID is the set of characters of your e-mail address which precede @ucdavis.edu. This e-mail address will be your default address to which all FIS messages will be sent.
- Kerberos Passphrase: The secret code you choose that allows you to access your computing account. This password will be used for access to KFS and Decision Support, Many other campus computing services, such as Banner and MyUCDavis use the Kerberos Passphrase.
||Set Up Your UCD Login ID
||Note: You will need to have your Employee ID number in order to set up a computing account. If you don't know what your number is, check with your department's payroll representative.
There are several options for obtaining your computing account. Choose the option that is easiest for you.
- To obtain an account online, go to the UC Davis Computing Account Services page. Select Get your UC Davis Computing Account and then click the Begin button. Follow the instructions to create a new UCD LoginID.
- If you are at the Medical Center, you can request an account through Information Services (I.S.)
||Redirect Your Mail ID if You Use an Alternate E-mail Address (Medical Center Employees)
||Remember, when you obtained a UCD Login ID, you also received a UCD Mail ID at the same time. This e-mail address will be your default address to which all FIS messages will be sent.
If you do not want this address to be your default e-mail address, you can change your Mail ID to point to another e-mail address. Any mail sent to your UCD Mail ID will then be redirected to your preferred e-mail address.
To redirect your Mail ID online, go to the UC Davis Computing Account Services page. Select Redirect your email address and then click the Begin button. Follow the instructions to change the e-mail address to which your MailID points.
2. Process a KFS User Document
||What to do
||How to do it
- Make sure that the employee has been entered and is active in the payroll system (PPS).
- Make sure that the employee has obtained a UCD Login ID. Be aware that it takes 12-24 hours before the Login ID will be available in the system.
- Know the chart, organization code, and Login ID for the user to be created.
||Start the KFS User Document
- Select the KFS User document from the Chart of Accounts channel on the Main Menu of KFS.
- Click on the Create New button.
- Enter a Description.
||Enter the New User's User ID Into Your Document
- Click on the magnifying glass icon in the KFS User ID field of your document to access the Person Lookup.
- In the Person Lookup you can do a search by name or by the user ID if you know it. If searching by name, use the wildcard (*) and the most unusual part of the person's name.
- Click Search to return the matching items.
- Click Return Value on the appropriate User ID to return it to your KFS User document.
- Note: If the user previously existed as a KFS user, you will see their old/current information on the left side of the document, and the new/updated information can be entered on the right side of the document.
||Finish the Document
- Select the appropriate chart in the Chart field.
- Enter the appropriate organization in the Organization field. If you are not sure what organization to use, click on the magnifying glass icon to access a search screen.
- The start date will default to the current date. You can change this date, if desired, and/or enter an end date.
- Click Submit to route the document for approval.
||Track Your Document
- Your document must receive any required organizational approvals.
- You can check the status of your document at any time by looking it up on the Document Lookup screen in KFS. Check the Routing Log to determine the next approver. We suggest that you closely monitor the status of your document and notify the new user immediately upon its approval.