Access to OPTRS is granted only for the performance of assigned job duties.
Applicants must provide detailed explanation of business need for access to this system.
- Submit signed PPS/OPTRS Access/Change Application (no additional requirements if requesting inquiry only access).
- Attend required courses.
- Update DRS OPTRS Structure describing the division of the roles and responsibilities for transaction processing.
Because of the confidential nature of the information in the Payroll/Personnel System, only employees who will be responsible for OPTRS administrative functions/ transactions will be given access to OPTRS.
What you should know
To obtain Entry/Update in the production region for PPS and OPTRS, a minimum of three users (authorized and approved) within a department/unit must fill the following four roles:
- Primary Preparer: Responsible for entering employee data into the Personnel/Payroll System in a manner consistent with University policy. Primary Preparers may NOT be Reviewers, and may NOT be KFS Fiscal Officers.
- Mandatory Reviewer: Verifies correctness and appropriateness of data entered into the Payroll/Personnel System within two business days of receipt (depending on distribution level). This review also helps to ensure against the possibility of entries that could result in fraudulent payments or loss of university funds. Mandatory Reviewer will be required to review PANs in web-based system. Maximum of one Mandatory Reviewer per category per department. Mandatory Reviewers may NOT be Preparers, and may NOT be KFS Fiscal Officers.
- Backup Preparer: Steps in as needed to complete the duties of the Primary Preparer.
- Backup Reviewer: Steps in as needed to complete the duties of the Mandatory Reviewer. Backup Reviewer will be required to review PANs via email. Maximum of two Backup Reviewers per category per department.
The backup duties may be held by the same person. However, the backup preparer may not serve as the backup reviewer for the same set of transactions. Each transaction requires review by someone other than the preparer. A separation of duties must be maintained at all times.
Every department is responsible for keeping their PPS organization structure and OPTRS PAN designations current and in compliance. See instructions.