Administrative Officials (deans, department chairs and directors) are responsible for ensuring a strong commitment to the humane care of all vertebrate animals used at UC Davis for research, teaching and training.
The following Principles and Responsibilities should be followed:
- 1. The promotion of sensitivity and concern among faculty and staff for the need for humane care and treatment of animals.
2. Encouragement of open and cooperative communication with investigators, the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC), and animal care personnel; and receptiveness to the needs for resources, facilities improvement, and security measures to facilitate the use of animals in research.
Details on animal care principles may be found at: UCD PPM 290-30 Use and Care of Animals in Teaching and Research, Title 9 Code of Federal Regulations, and the Animal Welfare Act.
- 1. Knowledge about Federal, State and local policies and regulations governing the use and care of laboratory animals, especially the U.S. Government Principles for the Utilization and Care of Vertebrate Animals Used in Testing, Research and Training.
2. The provision of administrative and financial support for the use of animals in research and instruction to ensure that high standards for animal care are an institutional priority.
3. Establishment and/or support of public education endeavors to educate the lay public, the media, and political and governmental officials of the need for animals in research and instruction and the relevance to human and animal health, advancement of knowledge, and the good of society.
4. Establishment of procedures for and direct leadership of any crisis situation that may arise to counter an assault upon appropriate animal use that has the potential to threaten the integrity and reputation of the institution.
5. Consultation with institutional communications and governmental affairs officials regarding responses to inquiries about research being conducted at UC Davis, particularly demonstrations or other activities of animal rights organizations.
Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (E-Mail)
Safety Services: IACUC
UCD PPM 290-30 Use and Care of Animals
Federal Animal Welfare Act
Title 9, Animals and Animal Products, Code of Federal Regulations