The different KFS Charts accommodate the need for the entities to report separate from the campus. 

The KFS Chart identifies the following entities:

  • Chart 3 - Campus
  • Chart H - Medical Center
  • Chart S - Schools of Medicine and Nursing
  • Chart L - systemwide Agriculture and Natural Resources (ANR)  

There are also separate charts for capital projects associated with 3 of these entities:

  • Chart P - Campus and Schools of Medicine and Nursing
  • Chart M - Medical Center
  • Chart N - ANR 

The KFS Account collects information on how funds were spent, bringing together the source of the funds (UC Fund), the type or classification of the activity (UC Account) and how the funds were spent (Object).

The KFS Account is 7 characters (alphanumeric). Accounts are established by each organization on campus. Each unit can establish its own naming convention for its accounts, as the characters used have no particular significance for the system. This allows organizations to create accounts that are significant to them. For example, an account for Chemistry's general expenses might be CHEMGEN.  

The below KFS Account Types are an attribute of the UC Account and is automatically filled on the Account document when the UC Account is entered. For more information on all the UC Account attributes, visit the A&FS Financial Reporting - UC Account page.

  • Expense Accounts
  • The most common account that departments will set up is an Expense Account (Type EX). Expense accounts record all expenditures associated with that account. In KFS, EX Account Types can also accept income and balance sheet objects (specifically for Accounts Receivable). Income and Accounts Receivable transactions are ‘translated’ into Income and Balance Sheet accounts to report in the correct Account Type when UC Davis reports to UCOP. 
  • Income Accounts
  • Income accounts (Account Type = IN) are used only to report income received by the university. Income can be reported in some expenses accounts (self-supporting, auxiliary and agency expense accounts), but expenses cannot be reported in an income account. Separate income accounts are required for General Funds, campus-wide Student Fees, Gift and Extramural Funds. Some funds sources have no external income (Opportunity Funds, Reserves, Endowment Income). 
  • Balance Sheet and Unexpended Fund Balance Accounts
  • Balance sheet accounts (Accounts types BS and RF) record assets and liabilities. Balance sheet accounts with Account Type RF require specific access to be seen in Decision Support reports; balance sheet accounts with BS Account Types can be seen by any DS user. In the departments, balance sheet accounts are used to record Inventories and Accounts Receivable, primarily in self-supporting funds. Some departments also use clearing accounts. Clearing accounts are temporary holding accounts for transactions (primarily income) until they can be moved to the appropriate account. Clearing accounts have to be cleared to $0 at the end of each year.  

    While it is recommended that Accounts Receivable be recorded in a balance sheet account, KFS/UCD does accommodate recording AR in an expense account.  However, in order to record Accounts Receivable in the proper account at the end of the year, an entry is made to all AR in expense accounts to transfer the balance to a balances sheet account. In July, that balance is returned to the individual department accounts.

    Balance sheet accounts (or the associated object(s) within Expense accounts) must be reconciled monthly to ensure the balance is accurate and agrees to a sub ledger or detail accounting of the remaining transactions in the account (object). 

    Unexpended fund balance accounts (Account Type UB) reflect the accumulated balance of the fund. The UC Fund reflects a specific source of funding. The total net revenues and expenses for that fund are added to the unexpended fund balance during Fiscal Close. In self-supporting funds, it is important to include the unexpended fund balance when looking at how the activity is doing. DS Report 193 includes the unexpended fund balance as well as the current year’s revenue and expenses. 

    There are also key transactions that take place in the unexpended balance account. They include funding transfers for capital projects, debt service and transfers to/from UCOP or other UC campuses. 

  • Provision Accounts
  • Provision accounts (Account Types = PR, DF, and RB) are normally used by your dean’s, vice chancellor’s or central accounting and budget offices to hold budgeted funds that have not been allocated. Account types DF and RB have restricted viewing access; account type PR can be seen by all DS users. Provision accounts are also used in self-supporting funds to identify the amount in the unexpended fund balance that must be budgeted into current operations. Provision accounts should never have income or expenditures posted to them – only budgets.  
  • Agency Accounts
  • Agency accounts (Account Type = AG) are used for individuals/entities affiliated with the university where the university does not have ownership of the funds (i.e., we are holding them as a custodian only). The individual/group is responsible for covering any deficits and will be returned any excess funds. Examples include funds for:  
    > an outside professional group  
    > a faculty or student association  
    > a group funding an employee retirement party  

    For more information on agency accounts visit the Agency Account page.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • If I have an income account and an expense account can I combine them into one account?
  • Yes, if your accounts are in the same fund you can record your income in the expense account. You can easily differentiate your income from your expenses by the income object code. For more information, visit the object codes page.

    Prior to Dafis and Kuali, departments were required to have separate income and expense accounts for reporting purposes. Now A&FS can report on income even if it is in the same account as the expenses. 

    If you have any questions, please contact General Accounting.

  • Where can I learn more about course material fee and service accounts?
  • For more information on course materials and service fee accounts visit the Budget & Institutional Analysis Course Materials Fee page.

    Also, please review UCD PPM 330-86 Course Material and Service Fee policy.

  • Where can I find more information on student fee accounts?
  • For more information on student fees and uses, visit the Student Fee overview and the Tuition and Fees pages.

    You can also find more information on student fees on the UC Funds - Student Fees page.