Tableau is a powerful analytics platform that can be used to provide interactive, visual analysis of the even the most complex sets of data.
If you are interested in exploring what the world of data analytics can offer to your department, downloading a trial copy of Tableau is a great place to start. Due to compatibility requirements with AggieDash, please make sure to download Tableau's trial version that is current with our UCD servers. To learn what version we are currently on visit our AggieDash section. Tableau's 14-day trial period will give enough time to familiarize your data analytics team with Tableau and decide on a path forward. More information on licensing.
Training & Resources
With hours of video and accompanying workbooks, the free Tableau Training and Tutorials page is a great place to start when getting familiar with the software. Topics include Getting Started with Tableau, Connecting to Data, Visual Analytics, Calculations and more.
Online Tableau resources:
Tableau & AggieDash
For tutorials specific to AggieDash and for tips and tricks that our Business Intelligence team has found useful and interesting, feel free to explore our Tableau Tips and Tricks page. If you need help with your Tableau development work, please email the Business Intelligence team.
- Slack Channel: #tableauchat
- Slack Group: #tableauchats: This is an informal group of Tableau users – we chat, we seek and provide advice, sometimes we even meet in person and grab a cup of coffee.
Under UC's licensing agreement (valid through December 2021), partners have one option for paying for Tableau:
|Subscription Type||Investment||Sample Quotes|
|Subscription||Fixed yearly payment of $504.||Sample Quote|
For your copy of Tableau, please click here. Due to compatibility requirements with AggieDash, please make sure to download Tableau Desktop version that is current with our UCD servers. For further questions about getting started, please contact our head Tableau representative, Mike Ramos at email@example.com.
- How to upload the UC Davis Color Palette onto Tableau
- University of Oxford's Comprehensive Tableau Style Guide
- An excellent and comprehensive guide to designing Tableau dashboards
- UC Tableau User Group's Guide to Color Theory
- University of California Tableau User Group's beginner's guide to color theory
- InterWorks' Guide to Visually Appealing Dashboards
- A quick and easy, one page reference for dashboard design principles
- Tableau's Best Visual Practices
- Tableau's official and comprehensive tutorial on the best visual practices for making dashboards and using Tableau
- How to Build Accessible Dashboards
- Tableau's official guide on how to build accessible dashboards.