The activities presented here provide reasonable assurance that your business processes are working properly.
A. Separation of Duties
- Administrative tasks have been assigned to staff so that one person does not have complete control over a transaction
B. Ledger Reviews
The department is current in reviewing and certifying the:
- General Ledger Review (Analytical, Management, and Quarterly)
- Payroll / Time Benefits Roster
- PI Ledger
C. Research Compliance
- Effort Commitment is shown in proposals as a specific and quantifiable amount (dollar or percent).
- Effort Reporting is completed in a timely manner to certify that the effort charged or effort committed to each award has actually been met.
- Cost Sharing is allowable, included in calculations of total committed effort, and includes all committed contributions the recipient makes to an award.
- Cost Transfers for federal and federal flow through funding are explained properly, documented fully, meet sponsor and UC standards, authorized appropriately, and completed within 120 days.
- Costs charged to sponsored projects are allowable, allocable and reasonable and are treated consistently.
- Grant Closeout reviews begin at least 90 days prior to the award end date with expenditures recorded fully 30 to 60 days afterward.
- Staff members are encouraged to complete all the training recommended for each of the functions they perform.
- Staff understands the authority they are given; their responsibility to enter financial transactions correctly; and their accountability for their actions.
- Delegations have been documented.
F. Employee Performance Evaluations
- Position Descriptions clearly state roles and responsibilities.
- Performance evaluations are completed as required by policy.
G. Physical Inventories
- Biennial physical inventories of equipment are conducted.
- Physical security of equipment is appropriate.
- Departmental (unit based) supply distribution centers inventories over $50,000 are inventoried annually.