When an employee terminates all university employment, the PPS preparer must process the separation in a timely manner.
- Policy and Resources
- Before you start
- Policy and Resources
- > Personnel Policies for Staff Members
The Davis campus or UC Davis Health Human Resources Employee & Labor Relations Office must be consulted prior to entry of employee terminations for layoff, probationary releases or dismissals.
Unlike entry directly into PPS, this process does not bundle screens for update. When a separation is entered there are specific parts of the record that require update. However, all existing data should be reviewed and updated as necessary and appropriate based on the separation.
Before you start
- Pre-authorization to process the separation, including a resignation letter if applicable.
- Date of separation and last day on pay (these date are usually the same unless the employee is retiring).
- Separation reason is required, and destination if one has been provided.
Step 1. Login to Online PPS Application
- In your browser, visit pps.ucop.edu/pp3 to access the production database where the employee records are maintained.
- Enter your PPS user ID, then tab, and enter your PPS password and hit the logon button.
*Note: Your PPS password may NOT contain any symbols to be used in the web-based access.
- Select Change Existing Employee Record from the Main Menu.
- There is a short PowerPoint presentation that will introduce and familiarize new users with this online application. It is recommended you review prior to your first entry in the system.
Step 2. Select Employee Record for Change
- Enter the employee's last name in the Name field, or enter employee's ID number in the Employee ID field.
- Press the Select button on the lower portion of the screen
- If a list is shown, click on the employee's name in the list; or move to next step if the employee information is returned.
- The employee information is now returned to the screen; if the wrong employee information was returned, you can re-select by clicking on the Select New Employee button on the lower portion of the screen.
- You can now move through all the tabs using the Next button at the bottom of the screen, or select specific tabs from the menu at the left.
Step 3. Enter Separation Data
- Usually, the separation date and the last day on pay will be the same. One exception is an employee that is retiring and wants to use leave time just prior to retirement date.
- If you press the Next button from Separation tab you'll move directly to the Summary tab, but if you haven't updated all the pertinent information this will be problematic. Instead, you can select screens to review and update using the menu on the left side of the screen.
- Generally, information will not need to be updated in every section but reviewing each tab for accuracy is a good idea. Information that should be reviewed prior to update includes:
- Update Permanent Address and Phone on Address & Disclosures tab
- Remove Salary Review and/or Probationary Information on Employment Information tab
- End Appointments & Distributions, Change Timecode to N for each Appointment on Appointments & Distributions tab
Step 4. Update Appointment Information
- Since most changes to the employee record will be on pay information, you will often be updating the appointments and/or distributions data.
- Begin by selecting the appointment to end or update as applicable. Using the icons to the right of the appointment to be changed, select to Edit, Delete, Copy, or Add Distribution.
- Whether editing current appt to change end date, or copying to create new appt, the Action Code field is required. On Separation this code is already embedded in the transaction when selected from the menu.
- Update any fields as applicable to the change being made, especially the End Date and the Duration fields. The time code should be change to N for employees that are terminated (changing the time code to N will block any payment entered on the roster).
- Click the Save Appointment button to move to the next step.
Step 5. Update Distribution Information
- Begin by selecting the distribution to end or update as applicable. Using the icons to the right of the distribution to be changed; select to Edit, Delete, or Copy.
- Update any fields as applicable to the change being made, especially the End Date field.
- Make sure to save the distribution using the Save Distribution button at the bottom of the page.
- Click the Next button to move to the next screen or tab.
Step 6. Review Summary Information
- The Summary screen or tab is a complete view of all the entry done to this point, it is divided into sections you've entered in each step. New Data is displayed but you can also review Old Data, or make corrections by selecting the Edit button to the right of each section, or by selecting the screen from the list on the left.
- You can collapse a section by clicking the title of the section you want to collapse. You can expand a collapsed section by doing the same.
- Once you have confirmed all is correct, press the Submit button at the bottom of the page have the system review for errors.
Step 7. Review Messages and Submit Transaction
- You must clear all Level 7 Errors before completing the transaction, if you see a block with red writing indicating errors you must resolve these before moving on.
- Once errors have been corrected, or if no Level 7 Errors were found, you will receive a block with green writing indicating you're able to submit your transaction, you can continue to resolve additional errors or submit.
- Press Submit button.
Step 8. Add Comments and Print IDOC
- Add comments for the PAN sent to reviewers, make sure to include:
- title code
- type of transaction, reason for change to record
- Banner confirmation and date (student titles only)
- Notation on end date (if applicable)
- Notation of pre-approved exceptions (if applicable)
- Press Submit button to send PAN and see options to print IDOC.
- Make sure you receive Confirmation message, scroll down and press Select and Print IDOC.
- Select Change-in-Status as IDOC type by clicking the title, scroll down to see IDOC.
- Select Print IDOC to print directly to your default printer for your computer.
- At the bottom of the page you can return to the Main Menu, Select New Employee for change or View Employee in EDB Inquiry.