This transaction is used to update an employee record in the Employee Data Base (EDB) for a Leave of Absence or Sabbatical.
- Before you start
Unlike entry directly into PPS, this process does not bundle screens for update. When an update to an employee record is necessary, most of the existing data displayed on the screens is generally current and may not need to be updated. However, all existing data should be reviewed and updated as necessary and appropriate based on the specific type of change to the record.
Before you start
Make sure the preparer has authorization for the Leave of Absence or Sabbatical including any change to pay information:
- Changes in salary should always be accompanied by a start date for the new rate and confirmation of the new rate in hourly/biweekly/monthly format as applicable.
- Funding changes should always be accompanied by a start date for the new FAU, confirmation of percentage of distribution and FTE if applicable.
Step 1. Login to Online PPS Application
- In your browser, visit pps.ucop.edu/pp3 to access the production database where the employee records are maintained.
- Enter your PPS userID, then tab, and enter your PPS password and hit the Logon button.
- Note: Your PPS password may NOT contain any symbols to be used in this application.
- Select Leave of Absence from the Main Menu to select the record for update.
Step 2. Select Employee Record For Change
- Enter the employee's last name in the Name field, or enter employe's ID number in the Employee ID field.
- Press the Select button on the lower portion of the screen.
- If a list is shown, click on the employee's name in the list; or move to next step if the employee information is returned.
- The employee information is now returned to the screen; if the wrong employee information was returned, you can re-select by clicking on the Select New Employee button on the lower portion of the screen.
- You can now move through all the tabs using the Next button at the bottom of the screen, or select specific tabs from the menu at the left.
Step 3. Enter Leave of Absence or Sabbatical Information
- Select the Leave of Absence tab from the menu on the left.
- Provide the applicable information regarding Action Code (leave is with or without pay), begin date of leave, return date (Note: this is NOT the last day of leave but the first day of return to work or change to new leave status), and type of leave.
- Generally, information will not need to be updated in every tab or screen on the menu, but reviewing each tab for accuracy is a good idea.
- Any time prior to submitting this transaction for update, you can select one of the tabs on the menu to the left to update or review information in that section.
- Press the Next button to move to the Summary screen or tab. This should only be done if no other changes to the employee record are necessary.
Step 4. Update Appointment Information
- Leave of Absence and Sabbatical changes do not require a change to the appointment information.
Note: If changes are needed on the distribution(s), move to step 5, if no changes are needed move to step 6.
Step 5. Update Distribution Information (if applicable)
- Select Appointments and Distributions tab from the menu on the left side of the screen.
- Begin by selecting the distribution to end or update as applicable. Using the icons to the right of the distribution to be changed; select to Edit, Delete, or Copy.
- No fields can be changed until at least one action code is selected.
- If distribution is copied, PPS selects first available distribution, this number can be modified but you must follow numbering rules for distribution (increments of 1 under the designated appointment, i.e. appt 10 has dists 11, 12, 13, appt 20 has dists 21, 22, 23, etc).
- Update any fields as applicable to the change being made, especially the End Date field.
- Make sure to save the distribution using the Save Distribution button at the bottom of the page.
- The entire process of adding new appointments and distributions can be repeated to add more of either. Copying a new distribution will add the new distribution to the same appointment the distribution is copied from, but the distribution number can be changed to move to new appointment (i.e. distribution copied from 21 becomes 22, change 22 to 31 to put under appointment 30).
- Click the Next button to move to the next screen or tab.
Step 6. Review Summary Information
- The Summary screen or tab is a complete view of all the entry done to this point, it is divided into sections you've entered in each step. New Data is displayed but you can also review Old Data, or make corrections by selecting the Edit button to the right of each section, or by selecting the screen from the list on the left.
- You can collapse a section by clicking the title of the section you want to collapse. You can expand a collapsed section by doing the same.
- Once you have confirmed all is correct, press the Submit button at the bottom of the page have the system review for errors.
Step 7. Review Messages and Submit Transaction
- You must clear all Level 7 Errors before completing the transaction, if you see a block with red writing indicating errors you must resolve these before moving on.
- Once errors have been corrected, or if no Level 7 Errors were found, you will receive a block with green writing indicating you're able to submit your transaction, you can continue to resolve additional errors or submit.
- Press Submit button.
Step 8. Add Comments and Print IDOC
- Add comments for the PAN sent to reviewers, make sure to include:
- title code
- type of transaction
- notation of pre-approved exceptions (if applicable)
- Press Submit button to send PAN and see options to print IDOC
- Make sure you receive Confirmation message, scroll down and press Select and Print IDOC.
- Select Change-in-Status as IDOC type by clicking the title, scroll down to see IDOC.
- Select Print IDOC to print directly to your default printer for your computer.
- At the bottom of the page you can return to the Main Menu, Select New Employee for change or View Employee in EDB Inquiry.