The Cash Receipt (CR) document records receipts associated with corresponding cash collections.
This transaction represents the receipt of cash and checks deposited into university bank accounts via one of the Cashier's Offices (Davis campus or UC Davis Health). The CR document is processed BEFORE the cash and/or checks are sent to the Cashier's Office.
Although there are a number of object codes that can be used on the CR document, be sure that you are entering the correct one for the type of transaction you are processing. For example, if you are processing a deposit for a reimbursement, make sure you are selecting an appropriate reimbursement object code. Refer to the Reimbursement Object Codes resource for more information.
- Completing the Document
- General Use Procedures
- Extramural Use Procedures
- Deposits over $5000 into Agency/University Related Event Accounts
- Canceling a Cash Receipt Document
- Recording Overages and Shortages
1. Completing the Document
- Navigate to KFS Main Menu > Financial Transactions group >Cash Receipt document.
- Enter a Description in the header area (this text will appear on FIS Decision Support reports and can be used in a document search).
- Enter tracking information in the Organization Document Number field (optional, but this text appears on FIS Decision Support reports and can be used on the Document Search screen). If you are depositing into a general account using an object code in the 9XXX series, please enter the Purchase Order number in the Organization Document Number field.
- Enter an explanation for your document in the Explanation field. This field must include all receipt numbers and/or cash register tape numbers. This field should also include the phone number of the preparer. (This text will not appear on FIS Decision Support reports but will appear on the printed document.)
- Listing Checks: In the Cash Reconciliation section, indicate whether the checks will be listed individually (Individual Checks/Batches) in the Check Detail section or if you will be indicating a Total Only. You can use the Total Only option if you have more than 6 checks. If you have 6 or less checks, please use the Individual Checks/Batches option. If you select Total Only, a Total Amount field will appear in which the total amount of all the checks should be entered.
- Depositing Checks: In the Cash Receipt Type section, indicate the location where the currency and/or checks will be deposited. Indicate if you are making your deposit at the Davis campus Cashier's Office (1200 Dutton Hall) or at the UCDMC Sacramento Hospital Cashier's Office (2315 Stockton Blvd - Pavilion).
- Amounts: In the Currency and Coin Detail section, indicate the total number of each coin and dollar amount. The amount received for each denomination of currency and coin must be entered. The amount entered in each of the designated incremental fields ($100.00, $50.00, etc.) must be a multiple of that number (e.g., $120.00 is a multiple of $20.00). If the amount entered is not a multiple, you will receive an error message. The amount entered in each of the designated incremental fields (50 cent, 25 cent, etc.) must be a multiple of that number (e.g., $1.25 is a multiple of $.25).
- The Check Detail section will appear ONLY if you selected the option for Individual Checks/Batches in the Cash Reconciliation section. In the Check Detail section, enter the check or batch number, check date (date written on check), description (usually the name of the check writer), and the amount of the check. Click the Add button to add the information to the document. Complete additional check lines as needed.
- In the Accounting Lines section, enter the Chart, Account, and Object code into which the cash is to be deposited.
- If the department has collected sales tax, the amount must be recorded by inserting an accounting line on the CR, with the appropriate chart/account/object:
Note: Most expense type (EX) object codes are not allowed on the CR document.
- Davis campus (Yolo County): 3/1155100/0510
- UCDMC (Sacramento County): 3/1155110/0510
- For sales in other counties, contact Accounting & Financial Services Tax Services (530) 754-5936.
- Enter the Line Description. The description entered on each accounting line will appear in the general ledger (in FIS Decision Support) for that accounting line. Note: If this line is left blank, the document description will default to each accounting line and will appear in FIS DS.
- The Reference Origin Code and Reference Document Number fields are OPTIONAL. These fields should be left BLANK, unless you are referring to a previously-created document.
- Enter the total Amount.
- Click the Add button to add the line to the document. Complete additional accounting line(s) as needed. Or, you can import accounting lines directly into your document.
- In the Cash Reconciliation section, click the Recalculate button. This will update the currency and check dollar information. Before submitting the document, ensure that these amounts are correct.
- Review the Overage and Shortage Page as necessary.
- Optional: If you wish to ad hoc route the CR document, click on the Show button in the Ad Hoc Recipients tab. In the Action Requested field you can select either FYI or Acknowledge (it's not possible to ad hoc route a CR document for approval). Enter the user ID of the person (or group) to whom you wish to ad hoc route. If you do not know the ID, click on the lookup icon to search. Finally, click on the Add button.
- NOTE: The CR document does NOT route to the fiscal officer(s) or to any organization reviews, so if you want other users to see the CR document, you will want to ad hoc route the document to that user(s). If you want department users to see your CR document BEFORE it routes to the Cashier's Office, you should click on the Save button and then share the document # with your departmental users
- Click the Submit button to submit the document. The CR document will automatically route to the Cashier's Office for approval.
- Print: A link will then appear at the top of the document for printing the Cash Receipt Cover Sheet. Click the link to activate your printer driver. You will need to indicate the number of copies desired on the print screen (you will need to send 1 copy to the Cashiers Office and another to the Internal Control (not Internal Audit) Section in Accounting and Financial Services).
2. General Use Procedures
Any questions regarding the general use of the CR should be directed to the Internal Control Section in Accounting and Financial Services at (530) 757-8511.
The cash (currency and checks) is sent to the Cashier's Office (Davis or UC Davis Health-Sacramento) where the cashiers reconcile the cash received to the CR document. A hard copy of the Cash Receipt cover sheet must accompany the actual cash deposit. The following deposit procedures must be followed:
- More than two checks must have an adding machine tape listing attached to the checks;
- Checks must be endorsed with departmental endorsement stamp; and
- Currency must either be delivered in person or by armored transport.
- The signature and phone number of the preparer must also be written on the hard copy of the Cash Receipt cover sheet sent to the Cashier's Office.
Hard-copy - A second hard copy of the Cash Receipt cover sheet, signed by the preparer, must be sent to the Internal Control (NOT Internal Audit) Section in Accounting and Financial Services, along with receipts or a cash register tape. Receipt numbers and register tape information should be entered in the Explanation field of the CR document.
Corrections - In the instances where the receipt of cash by the cashier is different from what was stated on the CR document the cashier will prepare a shorts/overs entry to the general ledger.
In all cases the reason and correction authorization for the difference will be stated in the cashiering system and the department will be called before the adjustments are made. An e-mail copy of all adjustments will be sent to Internal Control. Receipts for both the CR and adjustments will be e-mailed to the preparer at the end of the business day. Only deposits with currency will be issued a hard copy receipt.
3. Extramural Use Procedures
Any questions regarding the extramural use of the CR should be directed to Contracts & Grants Accounting at (530) 757-8532.
- The Cash Receipt (CR) is used to make all gift and grant/contract deposits.
- Unless instructed otherwise by Contracts & Grants Accounting, all gift and endowment deposits must be made to Extramural Funds account 3 - 1160120 using object 0630.
- All deposits for private grants and contracts and clinical drug trials must be made to Extramural Funds account 3 - 1160121 using object 0630. Upon receipt of funds, the department is to prepare a CR and make a copy of the CR to accompany the deposit to the Cashier's Office.
Gifts - The document number from the CR must be entered in the upper right hand area of the Campus Gift Acceptance Report directly across from the Donor Name in Box 1. This information will be used by Contracts & Grants Accounting to match the deposit to the Campus Gift Acceptance Report when it is received from University Relations/Gift Acceptance. (The Campus Gift Acceptance Report is ordered through AggieBuy - Catalog #71461-257). Enter the name of the donor in the Line Description field of the Accounting Lines section; doing so will aid in tracking and identifying the deposit as the funds are processed through the gift cycle.
If the gift requires a new account number, Extramural will also need the Account document number annotated in Box 15 of the Campus Gift Acceptance Report. If an Account document has been initiated to create the KFS account, include the new KFS account number and the document number on the lower right hand portion of the CR copied to Office of Research and Extramural.
Gift Pledge Payment - If the gift account has already been established and the deposit represents a pledge payment, deposit the payment with the Cashier's Office crediting Cash Received Undistributed - Extramural Funds account 3-1160120 using object 0630. Copy the printed CR, and write the KFS account number to be credited on the lower right hand corner. Attach a copy of the check and forward to University Relations/Gift Acceptance. University Relations will send the information to Extramural after entering the payment in the Alumni & Donor Records system.
New Private Grants/Contracts/Agreements - If funds are received on new grants, contracts, and agreements that have not been established in KFS, make the deposit to Cash Received Undistributed - Extramural Funds account 3-1160121 using object 0630. Copy the printed CR and write the KFS account number to be credited on the lower right corner. A copy of the CR, the check, and any correspondence, is to be forwarded to Office of the Vice Chancellor - Research and to Contracts & Grants Accounting.
Existing Grant/Contract/Agreement Payment - If the KFS account has already been established and the deposit represents payment to an existing KFS account, make the deposit to Cash Received Undistributed - Extramural Funds account 3 - 1160121 using object 0630. Copy the printed CR and write the KFS account on the lower right hand corner. Attach a copy of the check and forward to Contracts & Grants Accounting. Again, the CR document number is the method by which Contracts & Grants Accounting identifies the deposit for credit to the appropriate KFS account. There are exceptions when deposits are made directly to the KFS revenue account. You should contact Extramural for authorization and instructions prior to beginning this process.
Note: Deposits of gift/grant/contract funds should never be made directly to the KFS EX Account. These funds must be budgeted to the KFS EX account by Contracts & Grants Accounting Staff.
Accounts Receivable Payments - Occasionally, payments will be made in response to invoices submitted by Contracts & Grants Accounting. Those payments are to be applied to the Receivable Account established at the time the invoice is submitted. Deliver the check to the Cashier's Office who will complete the deposit process to clear the receivable. In this case a CR document will not be processed by the department.
Agency Accounts - If the KFS Account for the Agency Account has not been established, the deposit is to be made to Cash Received Undistributed - Extramural Funds account 3 - 1160120 using object 0630. Contact Contracts & Grants Accounting to transfer the deposit once the Account has been approved. If the KFS Account is already active, deposits are made directly to the Agency Account citing Object Code 0710.
4. Deposits Over $5000 into Agency/University Related Event Accounts
Any questions regarding the deposit types described in this section should be directed to Alyse DeFazio in General Accounting.
The CR will automatically transfer deposits of $5,000 or more indicated for accounts in sub fund groups AGENCY, OTHUNIV, or SSSOM1 to a cash received undistributed account so that the deposits can be reviewed by Accounting &Financial Services (A&FS) before being transferred back to the original cited account.
If you are making a deposit over $5,000 into an Agency Account (AGENCY) or University Related Event Account (OTHUNIV, SSSOM1) on the CR, the system will add a note indicating that the deposit will be temporarily going to a cash received undistributed account, 3-1160105. The document will automatically remove the agency account you have indicated and put the cash received undistributed account, 3-1160105, on the accounting line. The agency account information you originally entered will be listed in the Org Ref Id field. The deposit will not be available in the agency or university related event account until General Accounting has reviewed the supporting documentation (e.g., current agreement, sponsorship letter; not a copy of the CR).
On the day of the deposit the department should forward supporting documentation showing the deposit amount, purpose, and intended use of the funds to A&FS--Internal Control (not Internal Audit).
The deposit will remain in the cash received undistributed account until General Accounting validates the supporting documentation. Following validation, General Accounting will create a KFS Journal Voucher (JV) document to transfer the funds into the account the department identified on the CR. Departments will see the JV post to their ledgers.
5. Canceling a CR
The procedure to cancel a CR is as follows:
As long as the currency has not been mailed, delivered or processed by the Cashier you can ask for cancellation.
- Add a note to the KFS CR doc indicating that you want the document cancelled and why. In the note, indicate the document number of the corrected replacement document.
- If the amount of the replacement document is less than the amount indicated on the document you want cancelled, then your supervisor also needs to add a note to the KFS document confirming the circumstances of the amount error.
- In addition, email Maureen Pigozzo in Internal Control to let her know you are requesting the transaction be canceled.
6. Recording Overages and Shortages
The process to record overage or shortage on a CR document occurs on the Accounting Lines Tab and the appropriate entry (debit or credit) is determined by which object code is used.
There are four situations possible to record an overage or a shortage:
- Record an overage to an income account - Enter the income FAU and use object code 007X (creates a credit to the specified income account)
- Record an overage to a balance sheet account - Enter the balance sheet FAU and use object code 090X (creates a credit to the specified balance sheet account)
- Record a shortage to an income account - Enter the income FAU and use object code 007Y (creates a debit to the specified income account)
- Record a shortage to a balance sheet account - Enter the balance sheet FAU and use object code 090Y (creates a debit to the specified balance sheet account)
Entering the overage or shortage in the Accounting Lines tab will also automatically create an increase or decrease in the currency and coin detail tab to ensure that the document is balanced.